Monday, April 25, 2011

Best Ever Egg Salad {with Tarragon!}

The morning after (Easter, that is.) Ahhh, egg salad. Here we come. 



I felt just compelled to share my classic egg salad recipe. I stumbled upon it a few years ago and it still pops up in my repertoire at least every other month.


Before discovering this recipe, tarragon was only known to me by name. What was it for? Did people still use it? Was it a British thing? I even romanticized it a bit. I must confess that one line from a homework assignment during my high school poetry class sticks in my memory. Something to the embarrassing effect of tarragon-haired starling on roller skates... Please don't tell anybody this.

Around the same time I found this recipe, my little sister had started her very first garden outside her very first house. I went to visit. She had assorted lettuces, tomatoes, and, yep, tarragon. Tarragon? Really? Isn't that a British thing?

So this is for my sister, who lives seven time zones away from me and I rarely get to see. I haven't asked what's going in her garden this year.

And by the way, I've since learned that tarragon is not so much a British thing as it is a French thing. I envy my sister's access to the fresh stuff, as the dried proves to be little in comparison. I've found that Marks and Spencer does have a fairly good quality dried one though.


If you've got the day off, enjoy your Easter Monday. The hubs and I will be running around with Saffi this afternoon. Just a quick puppy update - she's grown an incredible amount in the last month. She is just over 3 months and is already looking like a full-on dog!


Continue to Recipe...


Recipe: Classic Egg Salad
Adapted from Gourmet
Serves 3
Active time 20 minutes

8 hard-boiled eggs
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
3 medium shallots, minced (or 3 Tb red onion)
2 tsp best quality dried tarragon (we use Marks/Spencer) or 2 Tb fresh
salt/pepper
a good multi-grain bread/rolls
mixed greens

Peel and chop the eggs (use a small spoon to help with the peeling if the shell is being stubborn. I find that especially on those brown eggs sliding the tip of the spoon under the shell along the curve of the egg helps loads.) 

Mix the mayonnaise, vinegar, garlic, shallots and tarragon all together in a medium bowl. Salt and pepper, tweaking any flavours to your liking. Gently stir in eggs. Now make up some sandwiches!

Dobrou Chut'/ Enjoy.
-- Jo







2 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing. I love tarragon and it is definitely an underused herb. Gorgeous photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you, tarragon is so underused! Honestly though, besides eggs and fish I'm not all that sure what else to do with it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...